Welcome to the July 2013 issue of the IEEE MTT-S e-newsletter; the official monthly e-newsletter for MTT-S members.
Here are a couple of interesting trivia items learned from recent MTT-S surveys of microwave professionals:
- Over 85% of microwave professionals say that they use the internet to seek RF/microwave information for their job, and a majority of them perform internet information searches more than once per week.
- The type of article MTT-S members would most prefer to see more of in MTT-S publications are tutorials, followed by review articles.
There are many benefits to being a Senior Member. Members who have exhibited "significant performance" including Life Members are encouraged to apply:
- First, review the list of requirements.
- If you meet all necessary requirements, apply directly for Senior Member grade (IEEE Username and Password required).
- You are encouraged to submit a resume or Curriculum Vitae (CV) with your application. The resume or CV should include dates and details which clearly document 10 years of professional experience (education and work experience) and five years of significant performance (not routine work).
Candidates are being sought for 33 IEEE awards that will recognize those who have made outstanding contributions to technology, society, and the engineering profession. Nominations are due 31 January 2014. Learn more.
With the annual IEEE election approaching, do you know whom you will choose for 2014 IEEE president-elect? To help you decide, The Institute asked the candidates, IEEE Fellow Tariq S. Durrani and Senior Member Howard E. Michel, to weigh in on important IEEE issues. Read their interviews here.
IEEE members’ annual election ballot packages should arrive in August via first-class mail.
A photon checks into a hotel and the desk clerk asks if there is any luggage to be brought to the room. The photon replies: “No, I’m travelling light.”
Pavlov is enjoying a meal at a nice restaurant when the phone rings. He jumps up and shouts: “Oh no, I forgot to feed the dog!”
Q: How many surrealists does it take to screw in a light bulb?
A: A fish.
Microwave Photonics is an inter-disciplinary field of study that concerns the interactions between microwave and optical waves for the generation, processing, control and distribution of microwave, millimeter-wave and THz-frequency signals. Microwave photonics serves as an enabling technology in a wide variety of applications such as signal generation and distribution, high-speed wireless communication networks, radar systems, sensors, and modern instrumentation. The 2013 International Topical Meeting on Microwave Photonics (MWP 2013) will provide a forum for the presentation of new advances in this multi-disciplinary research area, ranging from novel devices to system field trials.
- Dec 9, 2013 - Dec 11, 2013 - IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Workshop Series on RF and Wireless Technologies for Biomedical and Healthcare Applications - Singapore Paper or Abstract Submission Deadline: Jul 22, 2013
- Dec 18, 2013 - Dec 20, 2013 - Applied Electromagnetics Conference - Bhubneswar (India) Paper or Abstract Submission Deadline: Jul 31, 2013
- Sep 23, 2013 - Sep 26, 2013 - International Seminar/ Workshop on Direct and Inverse Problems of Electromagnetic and Acoustic Wave Theory - Lviv (Ukraine) Paper or Abstract Submission Deadline: Aug 10, 2013
- Apr 22, 2014 - Apr 26, 2014 - IEEE MTT-S International Wireless Symposium - Xi'an (China) Paper or Abstract Submission Deadline: Sep 20, 2013
- May 14, 2014 - May 16, 2014 - International Conference on Numerical Electromagnetic Modeling and Optimization for RF, Microwave, and Terahertz Applications - Pavia (Italy) Paper or Abstract Submission Deadline: Dec 31, 2013
- Aug 4, 2013 - Aug 7, 2013 - SBMO / IEEE MTT-S International Microwave and Optoelectronics Conference - Rio de Janeiro (Brazil)
- Sep 1, 2013 - Sep 6, 2013 - 38th International Conference on Infrared, Millimeter and Terahertz Waves - Mainz (Germany)
- Sep 10, 2013 - Sep 11, 2013 - Topical Symposium on Power Amplifiers for Wireless Communications - San Diego, CA (US)
- Sep 12, 2013 - Sep 13, 2013 - International Siberian Conference on Control and Communications - Krasnoyarsk (Russia)
- Sep 16, 2013 - Sep 18, 2013 - IEEE International Conference on UltraWideBand - Sydney (Australia)
- Sep 23, 2013 - Sep 26, 2013 - International Seminar/ Workshop on Direct and Inverse Problems of Electromagnetic and Acoustic Wave Theory - Lviv (Ukraine)
- Sep 26, 2013 - Sep 27, 2013 - International Semiconductor Conference Dresden-Grenoble - Dresden (Germany)
- Sep 30, 2013 - Oct 3, 2013 - IEEE Bipolar/ BiCMOS Circuits and Technology Meeting - Bordeaux (France)
- Oct 6, 2013 - Oct 11, 2013 - European Microwave Conference 2013 - Nuremberg (Germany)
- Oct 6, 2013 - Oct 11, 2013 - European Radar Conference 2013 -Nuremberg (Germany)
- Oct 6, 2013 - Oct 11, 2013 - The European Microwave Integrated Circuits Conference 2013 - Nuremberg (Germany)
- Oct 13, 2013 - Oct 16, 2013 - Compound Semiconductor IC Symposium - Monterey, CA (US)
- Oct 15, 2013 - Oct 18, 2013 - International Symposium on Phased Array Systems & Technology - Waltham, MA (US)
- Oct 16, 2013 - Oct 19, 2013 - 11th International Conference on Telecommunications in Modern Satellite, Cable and Broadcasting Services - Nis (Serbia)
- Oct 22, 2013 - Oct 24, 2013 - IEEE International Conference on Microwaves, Communications, Antennas and Electronic Systems - Tel-Aviv (Israel)
- Oct 27, 2013 - Oct 30, 2013 - IEEE 22nd Conference on Electrical Performance of Electronic Packaging and Systems - San Jose, CA (US)
- Oct 28, 2013 - Oct 31, 2013 - IEEE International Topical Meeting on Microwave Photonics - Alexandria (US)
- Nov 5, 2013 - Nov 8, 2013 - 2013 Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference - Seoul (Korea)