Welcome to the November 2013 issue of the IEEE MTT-S e-newsletter; the official monthly e-newsletter for MTT-S members.
The holiday season is approaching and so is the time for the paper submission for the flagship conference of the MTT-S Society - the International Microwave Symposium (IMS) 2014. It is a great place to learn about the state-of-the-art research in microwave, exchange ideas, and socialize. For those who have not attended it before, check out some videos from IMS 2013 from Seattle!
— Bhaskar Banerjee
Editor, MTT-S eNewsletter
The IMS2014 paper submission site is open for 3-page Summary submissions! Information for prospective authors may be found at the IMS 2014 website.
Paper Summary submission deadline: Monday, 9 Dec 2013, Midnight Hawaii Time.
Please consider submitting your work to IMS2014, and taking the opportunity to connect and collaborate with colleagues in sunny Tampa next June 2014. We look forward to seeing all of you there!
As a response to a straw pole taken at the MTT-S THz Transactions Reviewer’s Reception held at the 2013 International Conference on Infrared, Millimeter, and Terahertz Waves this past September, we are going to introduce a special “short papers” section in our THz Transactions. Starting in January 2014, we will include with each print issue of our transactions, a section of 2–4 page papers under the designation THz Letters, that will appear after our regular full length papers. These short papers will undergo the same review process and have the same acceptance standards as our regular manuscripts, but will likely cycle through review a bit faster (no promises on this as yet however). As a result they may appear on IEEE Xplore as non-paginated, but citable papers somewhat further in advance of the print issue to which they are attached, than the remaining submissions. If you have been hesitating with a submission to our THz Transactions because of the desire to submit a more concise manuscript, this is your opportunity. Try us out and we will evaluate the community response before setting up a permanent editorial policy.
— Peter H. Siegel
Editor-In-Chief, IEEE Transactions on Terahertz Science and Technology
The MTT-S is introducing a new award for Outstanding Chapters worldwide that have exhibited exceptional performance. The award will recognize the chapter’s contributions with special consideration for the local constraints and chapter size.
All nominations are due to be received by the MTT-S MGA Awards Committee via the regional coordinator by 1 February 2014. Nominations will be based on the chapter’s performance in 2013 and will be judged by 31 March 2014. More information available here.
Nomination submission deadline: 1 Feb 2014
IEEE Fellow is a distinction reserved for select IEEE members. The honor is conferred by the IEEE Board of Directors upon a person with an extraordinary record of accomplishments in any of the IEEE fields of interest.
If you know of an MTT-S colleague who is a Senior member or Life Senior member in good standing, has completed five years of service in any grade of IEEE membership, and who has made an outstanding contribution to the electronic or electrical engineering profession, you can nominate this person in one of four categories: Application Engineer/Practitioner, Educator, Research Engineer/Scientist, or Technical Leader. Nominations for the Fellow Class of 2015 are now being accepted.
Deadline: 1 Mar 2014
Learn more about the IEEE Fellow program here.
IEEE Technical Field Awards are awarded for contributions or leadership in a specific field of interest of the IEEE and are among the highest awards presented on behalf of the IEEE Board of Directors. All IEEE members are encouraged to submit a nomination for a worthy candidate within their technical fields. Since 1917, the IEEE Awards Program has paid tribute to technical professionals whose exceptional achievements and outstanding contributions have made a lasting impact on technology, society, the engineering profession, and humanity. By this means, the image and prestige of the organization, its members, and the profession are all enhanced.
Download nomination forms and award-specific criteria and learn more about IEEE Medals, Technical Field Awards, and Recognitions here.
Deadline: 31 Jan 2014
All new higher-grade IEEE members are invited to participate in a New Member Orientation session designed to help members get the most out of their membership. These live webinars, which include a 30-minute formal presentation followed by Q&A, provide an overview of IEEE membership and access instructions for members-only benefits and services. Topics include managing your IEEE Account, setting up a profile on memberNet, logging into myIEEE, networking opportunities, and much more.
Visit the Welcome to IEEE Web page to register for a New Member Orientation, typically held on the fourth Thursday of each month. Webinars are held at both 9:00 AM ET and 3:00 PM ET each day.
MTT-Society members can also learn more about benefits specific to their MTT membership here.
Airline passengers may soon be able to use personal electronic devices to read, play games or enjoy movies and music, when planes are on the ground or flying below 10,000 feet. Action on the rules change was delayed by the budget related government shutdown which ended in mid-October. On Oct 31, the Federal Aviation Administration announced that passengers would be able to use some electronic devices throughout the duration of their flight.
Read more from at NY Times.
- 1–6 Jun 2014: International Microwave Symposium 2014 - Tampa, FL Paper or Abstract Submission Deadline: 9 Dec 2013
- 14–16 May 2014: International Conference on Numerical Electromagnetic Modeling and Optimization for RF, Microwave, and Terahertz Applications - Pavia (Italy) Paper or Abstract Submission Deadline: 31 Dec 2013
- 2–4 Apr 2014 - Workshop on Integrated Nonlinear Microwave and Millimetre-Wave Circuits - Leuven (Belgium) Paper or Abstract Submission Deadline: 8 Jan 2014
- 16–21 Jun 2014 - 6th International Conference Microwave and Radar Week - Lviv (Ukraine) Paper or Abstract Submission Deadline: 15 Feb 2014
- 9–11 Dec 2013 - IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Workshop Series on RF and Wireless Technologies for Biomedical and Healthcare Applications - Singapore
- 13–15 Dec 2013 - International Conference on Microwave and Photonics - Jharkhand (India)
- 18–20 Dec 2013 - Applied Electromagnetics Conference - Bhubneswar (India)
- 19–23 Jan 2014 - IEEE MTT-S Radio and Wireless Symposium - Newport Beach, CA (US)
- 19–23 Jan 2014 - IEEE Topical Conference on Biomedical Wireless Technologies, Networks, and Sensing Systems - Newport Beach, CA (US)
- 19–23 Jan 2014 - IEEE Topical Conference on Power Amplifiers for Wireless and Radio - Newport Beach, CA (US)
- 19–23 Jan 2014 - IEEE Topical Conference on Wireless Sensors and Sensor Networks - Newport Beach, CA (US)
- 19–23 Jan 23 2014 - Topical Meeting on Silicon Monolithic Integrated Circuits in RF Systems - Newport Beach, CA (US)
- 23–27 Mar 2014 - IEEE MTT-S International Wireless Symposium - Xi’an (China)
- 2–4 Apr 2014 - Workshop on Integrated Nonlinear Microwave and Millimetre-Wave Circuits - Leuven (Belgium)